Tuesday, January 5, 2010
The US Secret Service has revealed that a third uninvited guest gained entry to last November's state dinner for the Indian Prime Minister. The Secret Service discovered the third interloper while investigating how Tareq and Michaele Salahi were able to breach security at the dinner. The man did not get close to the First Family, and authorities are not revealing the man's name at this time.
In a statement, the Secret Service commented that "It appears at this point that the subject traveled from a local hotel, where the official Indian delegation was staying, and arrived at the dinner with the group [...] At present, there is nothing to indicate that this individual went through the receiving line or had contact with the president or first lady."
While not revealing his identity, authorities are, however, investigating the man. The Secret Service has said that he arrived at the dinner party along with the Indian delegation, but was not part of the group of people that had been pre-screened and pre-approved to attend the dinner. The man is a citizen of the US, and State Department spokesman Ian Kelly has said that the incident has led to changes in department policy regarding how it deals with such foreign delegations.
As a result of the security breach, three uniformed Secret Service officers have been placed on administrative leave.
== Sources ==
Eileen Sullivan. "A 3rd uninvited guest got into White House dinner" — Associated Press, January 4, 2010
David Jackson and Mimi Hall. "Third person got into Indian state dinner -- did not meet Obama" — USA Today, January 4, 2010
Patricia Zengerle. "Third uninvited guest attended White House dinner" — Reuters, January 4, 2010